Mobility & safety
As we age, mobility often becomes an issue and maintaining good health as well as reducing tripping hazards is essential. Falls can occur due to any number of circumstances from the emotional state of the individual to their living conditions. Falls are one of the leading causes of injury for seniors but with the right precautions it is possible to minimize the chances of falling and the severity of fall related injuries. If your loved one is having difficulty with balance and mobility there are options to help reduce risk and aid in fall prevention.
Fall prevention tips:
- Increase physical activity and muscle strength – daily exercise can strengthen muscles and help with flexibility and balance, making falls or injury from falls less likely.
- Ensure proper vitamin intake & proper diet – diet and vitamin intake can have an effect on overall health as well as bone and muscle strength. Ensure you or your loved one is getting the proper vitamins, including vitamin D and calcium, through a healthy diet and supplements.
- Vision & hearing maintenance – good vision and hearing are important to maintaining good balance. Regular checkups with an optometrist and a doctor, proper prescriptions for glasses and hearing aids can help your loved one have better balance.
- Reduce hazards in the home – maintaining a safe home is important when it comes to mobility. To find out more about reducing hazards please see our page on Adapting the Home.
- Proper footwear – finding comfortable, well fitting shoes is essential to good balance and fall prevention.
- Medication management – mismanagement of medications can lead to falls and loss of balance. Make sure you consult with your doctor or pharmacist regarding use of multiple medications and side effects.
- Managing fear of falling – after a fall, a fear of falling can lead to a loss of activity that can be debilitating. Maintaining a healthy mindset about mobility is essential to continuing day-to-day activities and exercise.
We can help. Visit us to learn more about our fall prevention techniques and safety measures. Book a tour today.